ISOCARP is one of the founding partners of Planners for Climate Action (P4CA), a cooperative initiative born at the 23rd Conference of Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, in Bonn on 11 November 2017. The initiative, convened by UN-Habitat, is comprised of associations of planning practitioners and planning educators, collectively representing tens of thousands of planners worldwide, as well as other partners active in this area.
P4CA’s mission covers:
- Practice: Integrate climate change in the professional practices of all planners and their institutions through integrated approaches that reduce emissions, and prepare human settlements to adapt to climate change
- Capacity-building: Build the capacity of all planners by ensuring that all graduate-level urban/regional planning curricula prepare planners to be effective climate change professionals
- Research: Support and commission research that can strengthen knowledge at the intersection of planning practices and climate change
What can you or your organization do?
- Submit your Course Manual: Launching a global call for university courses manuals covering urban planning and climate change. All urban planning curricula should become climate-proof to prepare future planners to the challenges of climate change.
Extended deadline: 14th May 2019.
- Join P4CA’s growing global network: Organizations, practitioners, academics, researchers, and students with a passion for promoting climate action in urban planning are encouraged to join P4CA
- Download climate action resources
In the past years, ISOCARP has been actively promoting discussions and action on climate change in its Congress and global network. And we would like to encourage all of our members to contribute to this initiative or join us at our 55th World Planning Congress in Jakarta in September, where we will co-host a side-event with P4CA.