- The ISOCARP Awards for Excellence were conferred in recognition of exceptionally innovative urban and regional initiatives that best express the theme of the 46th ISOCARP World Congress on “Sustainable Cites/ Developing World” in Nairobi, Kenya.These Awards were created in 2005 as the highest honour that the International Society of City and Regional Planners can award to a city, region or an institution.
The projects had to take the following criteria into consideration: quality of diagnosis, internal consistency and coherence of the project, originality and innovative character, the possibility of using the project as best practice in other cases, the quality of presentation.
The Jury had the honour to grant the ISOCARP Awards for Excellence to four projects in different categories during a special ceremony during the congress in Nairobi:
- ARUP-Shanghai-China, Planning for Low Carbon Regional Urban-Rural Systems: Zhengbian New District Plan, Zhengzhou City
- Bilbao Ria-Spain, URBAN-GALINDO Reconnecting Barakaldo to its waterfront, BILBAO Ría 2000, Bilbao, Spain
- Ministry of Housing-Kenya: Kibera-Soweto east village informal settlement upgrading project, Ministy of Housing, Nairobi, Kenya
- Guangzhou Planning-China, Strategic Planning of Guangzhou City: Planning and governing a sustainable developing megacity, Guangzhou Planning Bureau, Guangzhou, China
For details please see the Jury Report.
The jury of the 2010 ISOCARP Awards for Excellence consisted of:
– Dirk Engelke ISOCARP Vice President Communication, pakora.net, Germany
– Ismael Fernandez Mejía, ISOCARP President, Mexico
– Thomas Kiwitt, Technical Director Greater Stuttgart Region, Germany
– Mairura Omwenga, ISOCARP Liaison Office Nairobi, University of Nairobi, Kenya
– David Prosperi, Florida Atlantic University, United States of America
– Shi Nan, Secretary General Urban Planning Society of China
– Alfonso Vegara, Fundación Metropoli, Spain
– Pablo Vaggione, ISOCARP Secretary General, Design Convergence, Spain