The ISOCARP Awards for Excellence, established in 2005, rewards plans in the design phase as well as projects in progress or already implemented. The Award is open to a wide range of professionals and institutions operating in the domain of urban and regional planning: architecture and/or urban planning companies; cities (public administrations and/or urban development agencies); university departments and/or research institutes; NGOs, and freelancers.
The Award is bestowed in two categories: Grand Award and Merit Award. The Award winners are announced during the official ceremony at the 55th ISOCARP World Planning Congress in Jakarta-Bogor in September.
The submissions may include the following:
- Normative plans
- Strategic plans
- Urban plans
- Urban design projects
- Urban policies
- Research works
- Software/smart tools facilitating planners
The call for the Award covers, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Town / Country Development
- Urban Regeneration / Brownfield Redevelopment
- Temporary / Transitional Uses
- Mobility and Accessibility
- Urban / Metropolitan Ecology / Agriculture
- Social Innovation / Inclusive Planning Processes
- Smart Communities
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Low Carbon Urban Development
How to apply?
Applicants should submit 4 pdf files including:
- Entry form including a short outline
- A description of the plan/project/policy (max. 10,000 characters with spaces)
- Drawings, maps, posters, graphical representations, charters necessary to illustrate the work (max. 4 A3 pages)
- A video illustrating the work (optional)
For ISOCARP individual/institutional Members, the registration fee is 500€ for each entry. For non-Members, the fee is 1500€ for each entry. You must pay your fees in order to be considered eligible for the Award. Candidates can apply with multiple proposals.
Please note that non-Member applicants can apply for a one-year free Institutional Membership subscription after submitting an entry.
Please submit your 2019 Awards for Excellence entry online.
Selection and rewards
The Jury, composed of five experienced ISOCARP members will evaluate applications according to the following criteria:
- Sustainability (processes, projects)
- Resilience (resources, energy efficiency, etc.)
- Alignment between planning strategies and contextual socio-economic problems
- Learning planning processes
The reward for the ‘Grand Award’ is one year of free membership to the Society; free entrance to the 55th World Planning Congress in Jakarta; official plaque and certification of the Awards for Excellence; dissemination of the project through the Society’s website, social media, and newsletter.
The rewards for the ‘Merit Award‘ is free entrance to the 55th World Planning Congress in Jakarta; official plaque and certification of the Awards for Excellence; dissemination of the project through the Society’s website, social media, and newsletter.