Sam van Embden was the Founder of ISOCARP in 1965.
The ACC50 Sam van Embden Award is a unique award to commemorate and celebrate 50 years of ISOCARP. The ACC50 Award will be awarded only once, in 2015 at the ISOCARP World Planning Congress.
The ACC50 Award will be given to people, not necessarily members, who gave a huge contribution to the discipline, to the sustainable development of space or place during the last decades. This award can result in a better knowledge of our discipline and our organisation.
There will be three categories of Awards:
- for a (living) person active in the world of planning, practitioner or academic;
- for a public or private sector organisation (including universities, consultants, NGOs);
- for a city or a region.
The award meets multiple objectives:
- exposure to new ideas and practices for our membership;
- recognition of planning excellence;
- promotion of ISOCARP values;
- increased recognition of ISOCARP; and
- membership recruitment.
- With three awards, there is enough “content” for a Congress session and/or presentation event.
Criteria for the Choices
Criteria will be activities related to “Knowledge for better Cities”:
- The improvement of the living conditions of people
- The initiation of ‘change, innovation, new visions and concepts’, innovative actions/events
- Extraordinary publications/plans/projects/research
- The creation of a great public interest
- The importance/influence of an activity.
No registration fees
Jury of the Award
The ACC50 committee + the VP Awards will propose a short list and give an advice to the Executive Committee who makes the final choice.
The National Delegations and the members will be asked to nominate candidates. For further information please contact Jef Van den Broeck (firstname.lastname@example.org ), chairman of the ACC50 Committee.
Please send your proposal to email@example.com (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Substance of the Award
Three candidates, one for each category, are going to be selected as winners by the Jury. They will have free entrance to the congress and receive an official ISOCARP certification of the award.